Hair loss or thinning is a problem that affects the confidence of millions of us. With many miracle cures on the market, it can be difficult to cut through the marketing and find a product that genuinely works. Viviscal is a product endorsed by celebrities, stylists, dermatologists and doctors. There are hundreds of reviews of Viviscal available online, but are they all credible? Product Reviewer Lisa King tests the Viviscal dietary supplement over three months, to see whether it boosts her hair’s condition and thickness.
What is Viviscal?
Viviscal is a dietary supplement that has been around for nearly 20 years. It is a drug-free hair growth formula that contains nutrients and vitamins that have long been associated with healthy hair growth, such as acerola cherry extract (high in vitamin C and a powerful antioxidant), horsetail extract (which strengthens brittle nails and bones) and Viviscal’s patented AminoMar fish extract formula.
Who is Viviscal aimed at?
Viviscal is aimed at both men and women that wish to boost thinning hair and reduce hair loss through genetic loss, illnesses like alopecia or loss due to stress. Men have battled hair loss in adulthood since time began, but it’s a sad fact that many of us women also suffer hair thinning when we’re pregnant. We may go back to bright and bushy after giving birth, but for some of us, we need an extra bit of help. That’s why I undertook this review of Viviscal, to see whether I could restore my hair to its former glory.
What about the company, Lifes2Good?
Well they seem very reputable. They have established a twitter, facebook and youtube account in an effort to better serve their customers needs which is great because they aren’t avoiding their customers. The customer support is superb and they will honor your refund requests so long as you provide a short explanation. You can give them a call at 877.333.4581 or toll-free 800.473.0145. They are also an accredited BBB business with an A+ rating.
Viviscal is a tablet that is taken twice a day; once in the morning and once in the evening, with water.
Is it proven?
Viviscal boasts some impressive statistics via its 7 studies:
- 81% found less hair shedding on an average day
- 75% saw an increase in overall hair volume
- 75% saw an increase in thickness of hair body
There is also a wide range of studies available on the website, detailing trials with alopecia sufferers and different ethnic group studies.
I started taking Viviscal – once in the morning and once in the evening. After a week or so I felt like I could ‘taste’ the fish oils or whatever the fish extract is, but a quick swig of mouthwash put paid to that. As with any multivitamin or supplement, the results aren’t instant, but my diary detailed the following:
- End of week two – nails less brittle, no change in hair quality or quantity
- End of week four – more growth of ‘baby hairs’ around hairline, less hair loss when brushing and less breakage when styling (although I cut out the GHDs for this study, just using a dryer on a low heat)
- End of week six – hair feels visibly thicker and seems longer
- End of week eight – nails growing rapidly, hair grown nearly 1.5 inches and thicker (only wrap ponytail band around twice rather than three times
- End of week ten – hair glossier and fuller, minimal breakage
- End of week twelve – very little loss when washing/brushing, visible thickness and shine
The website claims that Viviscal works in 4 stages over 6 months, but that most users see a difference in 3-4 months. It has a 90-day money-back guarantee, for users that haven’t seen any change after 3 months.
- Visible results in the first month
- Substantial results in three months
- Nail quality improvements
- Trusted: over 80% of customers would buy again (Makeup Alley)
- Proven: studies show real results
- Endorsed: celebrity, magazine and TV endorsements on shows like Dr. Oz
- Faster growth of hair, as well as increased thickness
- Seems to have helped sufferers of stress-related hair loss (according to online reviews)
- As with most fish oils, the taste can be off-putting. Have mouthwash on hand!
- Can exacerbate cystic acne (according to online review)
- Some people have claimed that it has interfered with sleep patterns and weight (no proof, but worth knowing)
- Quite expensive for a supplement, at around $50 for a month
Is it suitable for everyone?
Viviscal is not suitable for the under-18s, those pregnant or those with fish allergies. Neither is it recommended for those undergoing chemotherapy, unfortunately.
Does it come with a warranty?
Viviscal offers a 90-day money-back guarantee for anyone that isn’t satisfied with the results. There is also a 10% discount on any orders over $50, and an 11% discount for orders over $99.
What are people saying about Viviscal?
There are loads of Viviscal reviews online, so I’ve included a couple of professional reviews, as well as general reviews that sum up the consensus, before giving my overall opinion.
“I’ve seen good results with Viviscal” New York dermatologist Francesca Fusco, Allure Magazine, May 2012
“If a diet is to blame, a healthy hair diet can help as can supplements like Viviscal” NYC dermatologist Doris Day, Cosmopolitan Magazine, February 2012
“Another favorite hair booster of in the know celebrities, hairstylists and models is a pill called Viviscal, that when taken twice daily for six months promises to deliver major growth and smoother thicker strands.” Harpers Bazaar, November 2011.
“My health hasn’t been the best and dealing with hair loss made things worse. This is the first time in quite a while my fine and thin hair has developed some bulk. It is thicker without a doubt…thank you” Chimama, Makeup Alley
“I started taking viviscal about 2 months ago, and I have about an inch of new growth, which for me, is a lot.” Miss Kassafrass
“As far as my hair growth, I know it’s grown a few inches in the past 3 months, but I won’t know how long until I actually take the braids down. If you are suffering from premature baldness or hair- loss I Strongly recommend that you try Viviscal.” Tonya Lewis
My opinion of Viviscal
I wasn’t sure what to expect, not having suffered any serious hair loss issues or problems. I had just noticed that after pregnancy and with age that my hair was not as buoyant as it once was, and I wondered what a supplement could do for me. After a month I could see new hair growth, after the second month I’d seen faster growth and visible thickness, and after the third month I saw a vast improvement in hair quality. I have since halved my consumption to one tablet per day instead of two, to keep the quality and quantity that I have. The downside is the slight taste, but I think that that is mental rather than physical as I haven’t seen many other reviews of Viviscal that mention the problem. $50 is a lot to pay for a supplement, but a small price to pay for increased confidence and visible results. A must-have for any woman or man looking to boost their locks and self-image.
Best Place to Buy Viviscal
The official site, Viviscal.com, is the best place to buy. They are BBB accredited and offer a 90-day guarantee as mentioned above. Please use this link to visit the Official Viviscal site => Viviscal.com
Viviscal can also be purchased at Amazon.com